Montara Travel Information
Visitors to Montara can experience beautiful, sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean such as those found at Point Montara Lighthouse (shown above). The more active visitor can find many outdoor adventures at Montara State Beach and Montara Mountain.
Although hazardous for swimming, the mile long Montara State Beach is a popular destination for its tide pools and surf fishing. And for the experienced surfer, waves can reach 10 to 15 feet during winter storms.
Montara Mountain – McNee Ranch – The 625-acre State Park has panoramic views of the Pacific Coast, San Francisco Bay, and the rugged coastal hills. It features great hiking, nature walks, and one of the few remaining undisturbed Coastal Mountain Habitats.
|| Location – Located 8 miles north of Half Moon Bay and 50 miles north of Santa Cruz.
|| Population – Around 2,950 residents
|| First Settled – Late 19th Century
|| Weather – Generally speaking, Montara has the warmest daytime temperatures during the spring and fall months. During the summer months, the days can be overcast, foggy, and very chilly – especially in June and July . Winter months are often rainy and cold.
|| Primary Industries – farming and some tourism.
|| Area Attractions:
• Point Montara Lighthouse – The original fog signal station was established in 1875. The current cast-iron lighthouse that now occupies the site was brought in 1925 from Wellfleet Harbor, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The historic lighthouse and turn-of-the-century buildings have been preserved and restored by Hostelling International, and California State Parks, in cooperation with the U.S. Coast Guard.
• Fitzgerald Marine Reserve – North Boundary. The Reserve is set aside to protect this complex but fragile community for us and future generations. Within the reserve, most marine life is protected. The Reserve is popular with school and community groups for its educational value.
• Montara Mountain – McNee Ranch State Park
Hwy 1, across from Montara State Beach.
Located on the west face of Montara Mountain, the McNee Ranch is a 625-acre State Park with sweeping vistas of the Pacific Coast, San Francisco Bay, and the rugged coastal hills. Montara State Beach and Gray Whale Cove beach are within walking distance of the State Park More >>
• Montara State Beach – Half Moon Bay State Beach Headquarters — 650-726-8819
This beach is a popular location for visitors who want to explore the beach tide pools or go surf fishing. The beach is bordered by low hills both to the north and south. Restaurants and grocery stores are nearby. More >>
|| Tourist Destinations:
• Point Montara Lighthouse hostel offers overnight accommodations.
• Gherkin's Sandwich Shop – 171 7th Street Montara, CA (650) 728-7966. Serves burgers and seafood.
• Cafe Lucca – 8455 Cabrillo Hwy Montara, CA (650) 728 5229
|| Festivals/Annual Events:
• Point Montara Lighthouse Haunted Halloween Festival – Now in its nineth year, this community festival has plenty of activities for children and adults a like.