The Half Moon Bay Coastside Trail stretches from Half Moon Bay State Park to Miramar/Surfer’s Beach — totaling nearly 3 miles. With its well paved path, the bluff top trail is a great multiuse course for walkers, joggers, strollers and bike riders that offers sweeping ocean and beach views.
All along the trail is easy beach access for sunbathing, kite flying, and picnicking. Francis and Dune beaches have flush toilets, Venice and Roosevelt have vault type.
A horse trail parallels the Coastside Trail from Roosevelt Beach to Francis Beach and connects with the Bluff Top Trail that parallels Poplar Beach. The State Parks restrict horses to the designated horse trail. They are not permitted on state beaches. Horses are allowed on the Poplar Beach.
The Half Moon Bay Bluff Top Trail runs between Poplar Beach and Francis State Beach — totaling about .75 mile.
The green space along the trail is ideal for bird watching (https://explorer1.com/halfmoonbay/bird-watching/). Large hawks often sit on the split rail fence and park benches — sometimes allowing visitors to come within 6 feet of them.
The parking lot at Poplar Beach has portable toilets.
Coastside and Bluff Top Trail Mileage
According to my GPS, I have measured the following approximate distances on the two trails:
- Bluff Top Trail — from Poplar Beach’s Bluff Top trailhead to Francis State Beach’s Coastside trailhead is .75 mile
- Coastside Trail — from the Francis State Beach’s Coastside trailhead to the Venice State Beach Ranger Station is 1.04 miles
- 3Coastside Trail — from the Venice State Beach Ranger Station to the Dune/Roosevelt State Beach Ranger Station is .65 mile (Note: from the ranger station to the north end of the Roosevelt parking lot is another .3 of a mile.)
- Coastside Trail — from the Dune & Roosevelt State Beach Ranger Station to Miramar Beach is 1.00 mile
- Coastside Trail — from Miramar Beach to Surfer’s Beach (just south of the harbor) is .5 mile
- Coastside Trail — from Surfer’s Beach to north of Half Moon Bay harbor is TBD
Please note that these are approximate distances and may not be completely accurate.
For more information:
Half Moon Bay State Beach
Address: 95 Kelly Avenue, Half Moon Bay, CA
Phone: (650) 726-8819